[Eeglablist] BrainVision files

Gregor Volberg gregor.volberg at psychologie.uni-regensburg.de
Thu Oct 29 02:50:29 PDT 2009

Dear Lars,

I cannot answer your second question, but I had similar problems with reading
large files (~ 2.5 GB, 5000Hz sampling rate) from combined EEG/fMRI
recordings. You might  get it working with the following tricks:

(1) I moved from a 32-bit windows to 64-bit Linux and added RAM (8 GB; 16 GB
would be ideal but the mainboards of our standard Dell computers do not
support this). I also tried out the performance on the same hardware with a
dual boot (Windows/Linux) setup and found that the Linux system produced
generally less out-of-memory errors.

(2) Even with the 8GB RAM/64bit Linux I could not read in the whole 2.5 GB
*eeg file. I used the pop_loadbv function to read in slices of of data
(corresponding to our experimental blocks), performed the gradient artifact
correction, and then downsampled and re-merged the slices. If the are
reasonable cut-points in your data, e. g. pauses between blocks, you might
use a similar strategy. Cut-points might be identified by reading in only the
header file, without data, and then look for an adequate sample point range.

info = read_event('eh_w_22_l.vmrk') % reads in an event structure
% then identify reasonable sample

EEG = pop_loadbv(path, file, [start1 stop1]); %read in slice
EEG = pop_fmrib_fastr(EEG,0,4,21,'R128',1,0,0,0,0,0.0125,[],'auto');
EEG = pop_resample(EEG, 500);
[EEG ALLEEG] = pop_saveset(EEG, 'filename', 'slice1.set', 'filepath',
filepath);

Finally, merge the slices with pop_mergeset (or via the eeglab GUI).

Hope that helps,
Gregor

--
Dr. rer. nat. Gregor Volberg <gregor.volberg at psychologie.uni-regensburg.de>