[Eeglablist] statistics in EEGLAB

Robert Brown bobrobbrown at googlemail.com
Thu Nov 12 04:03:27 PST 2009

Dear Arno and All,

thank you very much for your enlightening response.

maybe one idea: let's say that I only have 4 subjects. the statistics based
on "subject means" would be unreliable and I would not get any results.
however, it could be that in case of each single subject there is a
significant difference based on trials in the same time window, which would
actually be a strong evidence for differences between the conditions and
which could be written as "in case of each single subject p < .05
(corrected)". I am sorry if this is not right, but I assume that there could
be instances where the group statistics with 3-4 subjects would not show
anything but the single trial statistics would. (good examples of important
studies with so few subjects would be Tong & Engel, 2001 in Nature with 4
subjects fMRI and Resulaj et al., 2009 in Nature with 3 subjects behavior.).

to conclude: maybe the single trial statistics would work, if it a) would be
calculated individually for each subject based on only this subjects single
trials and then b) the (time-frequency) regions would be plotted, where all
the subjects have significant differences based on their single trial
analysis.

thank you for your attention and good luck,
Bob