[Eeglablist] statistics in EEGLAB

Scott Makeig smakeig at gmail.com
Fri Nov 13 10:48:49 PST 2009

I agree. For example, if there are 3 subjects, then simple binomial
probability can give no better a result than p <= 12.5%.  However, in the
case that each single-subject effect, across single trials, is significant
(e.g., at the p < .001% level), a much stronger inference can be derived
using reasonable subject distribution assumptions.

Scott

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 4:03 AM, Robert Brown <bobrobbrown at googlemail.com>wrote:

> Dear Arno and All,
>
> thank you very much for your enlightening response.
>
> maybe one idea: let's say that I only have 4 subjects. the statistics based
> on "subject means" would be unreliable and I would not get any results.
> however, it could be that in case of each single subject there is a
> significant difference based on trials in the same time window, which would
> actually be a strong evidence for differences between the conditions and
> which could be written as "in case of each single subject p < .05
> (corrected)". I am sorry if this is not right, but I assume that there could
> be instances where the group statistics with 3-4 subjects would not show
> anything but the single trial statistics would. (good examples of important
> studies with so few subjects would be Tong & Engel, 2001 in Nature with 4
> subjects fMRI and Resulaj et al., 2009 in Nature with 3 subjects behavior.).
>

> to conclude: maybe the single trial statistics would work, if it a) would
> be calculated individually for each subject based on only this subjects
> single trials and then b) the (time-frequency) regions would be plotted,
> where all the subjects have significant differences based on their single
> trial analysis.
>
> thank you for your attention and good luck,
>
> Bob
>
> 2009/11/11 Arnaud Delorme <arno at ucsd.edu>
>
>> Dear Bob,
>>
>> thanks for the comments. I think you are using the statmode option "trial"
>> from the command line. This option is quite experimental. It was implemented
>> a while ago and is probably not forward compatible with more recent changes.
>> Also, the "statmode", "trials" option (assuming it was working) should only
>> be used to plot a single subjects. The reason is based on the type of null
>> hypothesis.
>>
>> When testing with 'statmode', 'subject' for two conditions, the NULL
>> hypothesis is: given the subjects I have recorded and given that these
>> subjects are a good representation of the general population of all possible
>> subjects, there is no difference between the ERP/spectrum/ERSP/ITC between
>> the two experimental conditions in the general subject population. Using
>> parametric, permutation, or bootstrap statistics (and assumptions) you may
>> either accept or reject this hypothesis at a given confidence level.
>>
>> When testing with 'statmode', 'trial' on a single subject (still two
>> conditions), the NULL hypothesis is : given the trials I have recorded and
>> given that these trials are a good representation of all the population of
>> trials for this subject, there is no difference between the
>> ERP/spectrum/ERSP/ITC between the two experimental conditions for this
>> subject. Again, using parametric, permutation, or bootstrap statistics (and
>> assumptions) you may either accept or reject this hypothesis at a given
>> confidence level.
>>
>> As you can see the two hypothesis are quite different. One makes an
> [...]

Scott Makeig, Research Scientist and Director, Swartz Center for
Computational Neuroscience, Institute for Neural Computation, University of
California San Diego, La Jolla CA 92093-0961, http://sccn.ucsd.edu/~scott