[Eeglablist] statistics in EEGLAB

Chanel Guillaume Guillaume.Chanel at hse.fi
Thu Nov 12 22:56:39 PST 2009

Dear all,

Recently I worked with a statistical analysis method called Linear Mixed
Models (LMM). This is relatively new to me so I hope I would not say
something wrong but here is my suggestion.

Why not including the subjects as a factor in the statistical analysis?
The problem is that the subjects at hand do not represent the entire
population of subjects. The nice thing is that this is exactly what LMM
can handle through the use of random effects. However I guess that the
statistical analysis will always reject the null hypothesis that the
dependent variable is the same for all subjects, leading to difficult
interpretation of the results. Anyway that might be a starting point to
answer your question. Any comments ?

In the case LMM are not familiar to you:

http://faculty.chass.ncsu.edu/garson/PA765/multilevel.htm

Hoping this can help,

best regards,

Guillaume Chanel