[Eeglablist] Extracting Phase Angle from ITC Matrix

Scott Makeig smakeig at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 09:39:36 PST 2009

Note that when you turn on the newtimef option that gives you a 'striped'
ITC, the function simply multiplies the [0,1] ITC magnitude value by the
sign (+/-1) of the ITC angle -- sign(angle(itc)) -- thus giving a fairly
good graphic view of the portion of the ERP accounted for by the ITC at each
frequency when probability masking is also turned on.

Scott Makeig

On Thu, Nov 26, 2009 at 7:52 AM, Arnaud Delorme <arno at ucsd.edu> wrote:

> Dear Zach,
>
> yes, you can use the angle function to obtain the ITC angle from this
> complex array.
>
> Arno
>

> > I'm wondering whether anyone knows how to extract an estimate of
> > phase angle (or average phase angle) from the newtimef ITC output
> > matrix.  When I look at the matrix, I can see that the estimates in
> > each cell are provided in complex number form - does part of this
> > number pertain to phase angle for that frequency and time point?
> > Any help or information would be greatly appreciated!

Scott Makeig, Research Scientist and Director, Swartz Center for
Computational Neuroscience, Institute for Neural Computation, University of
California San Diego, La Jolla CA 92093-0961, http://sccn.ucsd.edu/~scott