[Eeglablist] Extracting Phase Angle from ITC Matrix

Indir Jaganjac ijaganjac at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 27 08:44:38 PST 2009

Hi Zach,

Mr.Bradley Voytek and Dr.Aranud Delorme have made excellent comments.

My experience is:

Inter-Trial Coherence (ITC) or phase-locking factor is important for detection of
transient event-related spectral perturbation (ERSP).
ERSP/ITC frequency range is usually in 3-25 Hz.

You can extract phase angle P and magnitude M, from Inter-Trial Coherence (ITC) matrix in this way:
P = angle(ITC), where P is phase angle matrix in radians, for each element in ITC matrix (in interval -pi,+ pi).
M = abs(ITC), where M is magnitude.

You can also try function phasecoher for estimating inter-trial amp/coherence using Gaussian wavelets:
[amps,cohers ] = phasecoher(data,frames,srate,freq,cycles);
amps = mean amplitude at each time point
cohers = phase coherence at each time point [0,1]

regards,
I. Jaganjac