[Eeglablist] Interpolation and ICA

Andreas Widmann widmann at uni-leipzig.de
Wed Jan 6 04:38:59 PST 2010

Dear Bernhard and Arno,

imho, it is also relevant (a) why you want to interpolate/the type of artifact and (b) whether you want to interpolate the channel for the whole dataset or only parts/trials/epochs.

(a) E.g. for unplugged or broken active electrodes containing noise and no signal I would prefer removing the channel and inserting an interpolated channel after ICA. Arno, would it be safe to feed (partially) noise only channels into ICA?

(b) If you interpolate ONLY PART of the dataset/epochs/trials AFTER ICA computation, imho ICA solution is no longer strictly valid for the dataset. Did I misunderstand something here?

Two comments:
Using the sphspline plugin instead of eeg_interp you should be able to interpolate the channel for ICA components too.

Spherical spline interpolation does not necessarily introduce non-linearity (the name is misleading). E.g., the back-projected dataset with a channel interpolated for all components is identical to the dataset with the channel interpolated.

Best,
Andreas