[Eeglablist] Statistics on dipole orientations

Paul Briley paul at ihr.mrc.ac.uk
Thu Mar 18 07:43:29 PDT 2010

Hi, I'm looking to compare dipole orientations between conditions, does
anyone know the best way to do this? I'm currently using BESA to fit
dipoles, which gives me an azimuth and elevation angle for each participant.
However, averaging across participants seems problematic - orientations of 2
degrees and 358 degrees would average to 180 degrees, despite them being
only 4 degrees apart. In addition, dipoles can be flipped in orientation
with no change in residual variance so I would need a method which treats,
for example, 0 degrees and 180 degrees the same.

Does anyone know where this problem has been tackled before?

Thank-you,

Paul.