[Eeglablist] Random selection of trials

Arnaud Delorme arno at ucsd.edu
Thu Apr 1 12:49:34 PDT 2010

Dear Kris,

in EEGLAB try the statcond function. It will perform boostrap,
permutation (bootstrap and permutation are two resampling techniques),
or compute parametric statistics and return p-values. If you have 2
EEGLAB datasets 1 and 2 (on which you have extracted data epochs of
the same length), on the command line, try

[t df p] = statcond({ ALLEEG(1).data ALLEEG(2).data }, 'mode',
'bootstrap', 'naccu', 1000);
% or [t df p] = statcond({ ALLEEG(1).data ALLEEG(2).data}, 'mode',
'perm');
% or [t df p] = statcond({ ALLEEG(1).data ALLEEG(2).data}, 'mode',
'param');

then use FDR to correct for multiple comparisons

p = fdr(p);

then plot the result with a threshold at 0.05 for a given channel

chan = 10;
erp_1 = mean(ALLEEG(1).data(chan,:,:),3);
erp_2 = mean(ALLEEG(2).data(chan,:,:),3);
plotcurve(ALLEEG(1).times, [erp_1; erp_2], 'maskarray', p(chan,:) <
0.05);

Hope this helps,

Arno

ps: with many channels, time points, and trials, the bootstrap
computation may take several minutes