[Eeglablist] Random selection of trials

Philip Michael Zeman pzeman at alumni.uvic.ca
Thu Apr 1 11:36:04 PDT 2010

Hello Kris

This is an issue that I've encountered myself and I've had to come up with
some logical reasoning.  I am also very interested in hearing what other
people have to say on this topic so that I know what options exist.

My reasoning is as follows:

If there is any chance of learning or adaptation of the neural systems
involved in the paradigm to the stimuli or the context of the stimuli, then
I would chose to use only the first 150 trials of each of the conditions you
are examining.  There is plenty of ERP research out there that shows that
the second-half vs. the first have of an experiment has characteristically
different waveforms. (See, face recognition/unknown face ERP literature,
e.g., Tanaka - I think that participants begin to learn what could be
considered the 'odd-ball' in this experiment).

Your concern about averaging a different number of trials for each
condition:
*Yes, this is a concern.  My philosophy is to always compare apples to
apples --- always try to do the same processing in condition 1 and in
condition 2 if you are going to ask the question, "are these 2 conditions
different?" using a statistical test.  If in condition 1 there are 150
trials and in condition 2 there are 1000 trials (and you use them all) then
when you average the data within each participant and then look for a
difference in the distribution across participants you already know there is
a possible difference simply due to what you did to the data.  Depending on
the signal-to-noise characteristics (and what we consider to be noise, e.g.,
variability in behaviour, uncorrelated sensor noise, learning and
adaptation), you might have a distribution of values in condition 2 that are
tightly distributed around the mean for the condition compared to in
condition 1 that has a distribution of scores that are spread by a large
amount around the mean of the condition.

If you are not concerned about learning and adaptation in your experiment,
(and I think this goes against standard research hypothesis testing rules)
what I would suggest is doing your hypothesis test in multiple comparisons
so that you can learn something about your data.  I would answer my
hypothesis using (1) and then go further by investigating (2) and (3) to see
what I get.
(1) compare condition 1, trials 1 to 150 vs. condition 2, trials 1 to 150
(2) compare condition 1, trials 1 to 150 vs. condition 2, trials N-150 to N
(where N is the number of trials in the large set)
(3) compare condition 1, trials 1 to 150 vs. condition 2, random blocks of
150 trails (and do this multiple times on different random blocks)

Keep me updated as to what you decided to do.

Regards,

Phil

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Philip Michael Zeman B.Eng, Ph.D.
Applied Brain and Vision Sciences Inc.
Brain Function Analysis for Novel Paradigms and Serious Games
Analysis of Pharmaceutical Effects on Brain Function
http://www.abvsciences.com
Latest Brain Research Result:
http://www.spatialbrain.com
Email:   pzeman at alumni.uvic.ca