[Eeglablist] Wrapped Phase Angle from newtimef?

Philip Michael Zeman pzeman at alumni.uvic.ca
Fri Apr 16 15:23:05 PDT 2010

Hi Zach,

a quick look at your data suggests that you have simply run into a fundamental characteristc of measuring phase angle. Phase angle is a continuous and repeating value. Hence, a static, unchanging, reference point is needed.  There is probably a simple tweak you can make to your algorithm that can 'fix' your issue.  Alternatively, there are some transformations you can make:

See:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quaternion

I also came across some information about calculating 'circular means' from circular statistics.  I haven't had a chance to check this out, but you might find it helpful.  I think this was posted on the EEGLab group a while back.
http://www.mathworks.com/matlabcentral/fileexchange/10676-circular-statistics-toolbox-directional-statistics

Regards,

Phil

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Philip Michael Zeman B.Eng, Ph.D.
Applied Brain and Vision Sciences Inc.
Brain Function Analysis for Novel Paradigms and Serious Games
Analysis of Pharmaceutical Effects on Brain Function
http://www.abvsciences.com
Latest Brain Research Result:
http://www.spatialbrain.com
Email:   pzeman at alumni.uvic.ca