[Eeglablist] Wrapped Phase Angle from newtimef?

Zachary Moran zdmoran at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 23:17:49 PDT 2010

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently investigating the relationship between phase angle and other
EEG variables.  In order to get phase angle, I've been taking the angle(ITC)
in Matlab which gives me phase angle estimates from -pi to pi radians.
However, when I plot this data against time I find discontinuities at pi and
-pi (see attached jpeg for an example), which has become problematic in
using it as a predictor variable.

Does this suggest that the phase information is "wrapped", and, if so, does
Matlab's "unwrap(phase_angle_data)" function seem appropriate to anyone else
as a means of making my phase angle data better suited as a predictor?
Alternatively, I had initially wanted to constrain phase to between 0 and
2pi radians - does anyone have any advice for how to make this conversion?
Any thoughts or ideas would be very greatly appreciated.

Many thanks!

Zach