[Eeglablist] Analyzing ERSPs

Guillaume Rousselet g.rousselet at psy.gla.ac.uk
Thu Jul 8 08:44:20 PDT 2010

Hey Bornali,

You could do different analyses to address different questions.

[1] Whatever you do it is a good idea to use cluster based statistics,
with bootstrap or permutation.

[2] If you're main interest is to show the reliability of the ERSP
session 1 and session 2 in each subject. Reliability should result in
small if any differences. You may want to centre your data first to
remove mean session effects if you are interested in the reliability
of the effects of different conditions. If your design includes
different conditions, you could run, at each time and each electrode,
an ANOVA including a session factor, and correct for multiple
comparisons using a cluster test.

[3] If you're main interest is to show the reliability of the ERSP
sessions, using the mean ERSP from each subject (thus after removing
the single-trial variance associated with each subject).

[4] You could perform [3] after fitting a model on each subject, and
perform a pairwise group comparisons on the beta coefficients of the
model, similarly to what people do in fMRI. This would tell you if you
have significant session effect across subjects. Of course this
analysis will not reveal session effects that are not consistent in
space and time across subjects - the typical problem with group
statistics.

Best wishes,

Guillaume

On 7 Jul 2010, at 20:28, Bornali Kundu wrote:

> Hello,
>
> This question is not directly related to using EEGLAB, but has to do
> with analyzing ERSPs.  What is an acceptable way to statistically
> compare ERSPs within subjects over multiple sessions?  I have 10
> subjects, where each repeated the same task during 2 separate
> sessions.  I want to compare ERSP amplitude over multiple sessions
> for each subject with ERSP amplitude over many subjects within one
> session.  Does it make sense to run some type of ANOVA at every time
> and frequency point or a MANOVA?  Or is there a better way to
> compare two ERSPs taking into consideration the "pattern" of
> activity over time and frequency (perhaps using a cluster-based
> permutation strategy)?  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Bornali

Guillaume A. Rousselet, Ph.D., lecturer

School of Psychology
Institute of Neuroscience & Psychology
Centre for Cognitive Neuroimaging (CCNi)

http://www.psy.gla.ac.uk/staff/index.php?id=GAR01

Email: g.rousselet at psy.gla.ac.uk
Fax. +44 (0)141 330 4606
Tel. +44 (0)141 330 6652
Cell +44 (0)791 779 7833

"Corporations have only one duty: to promote their own and their
owners' interests. They have no capacity, and their executives no
authority, to act out of a genuine sense of responsibility to society,
to avoid causing harm to people and the environment, or to work to
advance the public good in ways that are unrelated to their own self-
interest. Deregulation thus rests upon the suspect premise that
corporations will respect social and environmental interests without
being compelled by government to do so. No one would seriously suggest
that individuals should regulate themselves, that laws against murder,
assault, and theft are unnecessary because people are socially
responsible. Yet oddly, we are asked to believe that corporate persons
- institutional psychopaths who lack any sense of moral conviction and
who have the power and motivation to cause harm and devastation in the
world - should be left free to govern themselves."

	Joel Bakan - The Corporation - 2004