[Eeglablist] Do ICs have locations?

Ronald Phlypo Ronald.Phlypo at ugent.be
Mon Sep 20 01:06:02 PDT 2010

  Dear Weiguang,

The IC's are obtained through the decomposition of the observations y(t)
as y(t) = A*x(t), where the x(t) are the estimates of the sources. The
model could easily be rewritten using vector notation only as y(t) = Sum
over i of a[i]*s[i], where the a[i] are the column vectors taken from A.

The a[i] thus clearly expose the spatial distribution of the s[i] over
the scalp (the spatial distributions do not depend on the time and are
supposed stationary in this model), up to a global scaling factor which
includes a possible sign change. Moreover, taking a[i]^2 -- which stands
for the quadratic of each of the elements in the column vector --
returns the power distribution of the i-th source up to a global scaling
factor.

Hope this helps,

Ronald