[Eeglablist] Min. data length for ICA analysis?

David Groppe dgroppe at cogsci.ucsd.edu
Tue Sep 21 21:59:28 PDT 2010

Hi Rajeev,
      In the following article:

Onton,J., Westerfield, M., Townsend, J.,Makeig, S. (2006) Imaging human
EEG dynamics using independent component analysis. Neurosci. Biobehav.
Rev. 30(6), 808–822.

Onton et al. recommend a minimum of 20 time points per channel^2 while
noting that more data than that generally helps.  By evaluating the
reliability of ICA, we've found that 20 time points per channel^2 is
indeed sufficient to produce a usable proportion of reliable ICs, but
that you can do much better with more data.  See Figure 7 of:

Groppe, D.M., Makeig, S., &  Kutas, M. (2009) Identifying reliable
independent components via split-half comparisons. NeuroImage, 45
pp.1199-1211.
(http://www.cogsci.ucsd.edu/~dgroppe/PUBLICATIONS/Groppe2009.pdf)

hope this helps,
     -David