[Eeglablist] Re. Using ICA with interpolated channels

Arnaud Delorme arno at ucsd.edu
Thu Sep 30 11:02:17 PDT 2010

Dear Grega and Robert,

concerning interpolating channels before running ICA. Robert's analysis of pros and cons of interpolating channels before running ICA makes perfect sense. We personally at the Swartz center never interpolate data channels and rarely reduce the dimensionality of the data matrix before running ICA (unless we are using 256 channels and then we reduce the dimensionality to 150 before running ICA). As Robert pointed out both reducing the dimensionality using PCA and interpolating channels introduce non linearities. Spherical interpolation introduces non-linearities because a non-linear algorithm is used to interpolate channels. Pre-processing with PCA introduces non-linearities because some of the PCA components - the ones with the lowest eigenvalues - are discarded. Since PCA does not model the structure of the data (i.e. the brain sources), this introduces non linearity. It is hard enough to run ICA and get a clean decomposition for the purpose of analyzing brain source that it is better not to apply any procedure that would potentially introduce non-linearity. When running ICA for the purpose of removing artifacts, this is probably less critical.

Just wanted to add my grain of salt,
Cheers,

Arno