[Eeglablist] Inter-electrode distances

Arnaud Delorme arno at ucsd.edu
Thu Oct 7 20:31:30 PDT 2010

Hi Paul,

what you probably want is the distance on the scalp of the electrodes. Assuming a spherical model, for this you have to get the angle between the two vectors pointing to each electrodes from the center of then head the multiply by the radius of the sphere to get the distance on the sphere. I would simply do the dot product of the 3-D Cartesian coordinates of each vector, then compute the angle using argcos (inverse cosine function) (divide by the dot product by the length of the two vector then do the argcos function), then compute angle (in radian) times radius to get the distance.

I have not tried it so I am not sure my fast reasoning is right (but it is a start). More at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dot_product

Hope this helps,

Arno