[Eeglablist] How to deal with 1/f noise in

derek eder derek at stenljus.se
Wed Nov 17 02:01:52 PST 2010

If amplifier 1/f noise is suspected, one possible sanity check is to
record the same signal on multiple amplifier-channels and then sum* them.

The noise** contribution to the resulting average should be reduced by:
   1/sqrt(n.channels)

Compare the resulting low frequency activity with those from individual
channels.

Depending on the input-design / input-impedance of your amplifiers,
there are practical limits to the number of channels that one can
parallel from the same electrodes,  but 3 or 4 should not be a problem.

~Derek

*   perhaps de-mean and scale first if your channels have offsets and/or
gain differences.
** assuming uncorrelated noise from individual channels

--
Derek Eder
tlf 0704 915 715