[Eeglablist] Out of memory

Arnaud Delorme arno at ucsd.edu
Sat Nov 27 23:26:39 PST 2010

Dear Alexandre,

increasing virtual or swap memory will most likely not help because Matlab only seems to be able to allocate real physical non-paged memory.

The most affected operating system seems to be Windows 32-bit with recent versions of Matlab where even with more than 2Gb physical memory, it is sometimes impossible to open 100Mb files.

The solutions are
- buy even more RAM
- Close all programs, remove Windows services (Adobe etc…), reboot
- Change of OS (Windows 7 might seems to have less problems than Win XP)
- Try different memory manager “start Matlab from the DOS command line with matlab –memmgr fast option
- Use older versions of Matlab that behave better with 32-bit systems (how old?)
- Look at http://www.mathworks.com/support/tech-notes/1100/1107.html

Under OSx or linux, Matlab cannot allocated inactive memory. You may free it by tiping "du -sx /" (in OSx you will see the blue inactive memory decreasing).

Arno

ps: under Matlab 2010b Linux Fedora Core 64-bit, we have successfully allocated matrices of up to 74Gb.