[Eeglablist] Calculating Alpha Asymmetry

Andero Uusberg Andero.Uusberg at ut.ee
Thu Jan 5 06:24:47 PST 2012

Dear Kathryn,

all of your pipeline can be done in EEGLAB, but a few steps require
using Matlab command line interface.

For the segmentation of data EEGLAB has a function called
pop_importevent which does what the name suggests and thus allows you to
import event-markers for the 2-second epochs you'll need. As I'm not
quite sure how the function would cope with overlapping segments, I've
created non-overlapping ones at this phase and asked the spectral
analysis function pop_spectopo to apply overlapping during subsequent
FFT calculations instead.

Here is a piece of code that adds 2-second event-markers to a loaded
EEGLAB dataset.
dur = 2; % the required duration of the new events
name = 'M'; % name of the new events that appears in EEGLAB scroll plot
newEvent = {name 0 dur}; % initiate the new event list (see help
pop_importevent for details)
% the following loop will populate the list with required information
for k = 2:round((EEG.xmax-dur)/dur) % the loop runs until the end of the
loaded dataset
     newEvent = cat(1, newEvent, {name newEvent{k-1,2}+dur dur}); %
specs of one event are added on each run of the loop
end
EEG = pop_importevent( EEG, 'event','externalEvent','fields',{'type'
'latency' 'duration'},'timeunit',1,'optimalign','off'); % import the
created event list to the loaded dataset
eeglab redraw % update the GUI to reflect the command line changes

After running this code you can use the GUI-based tool to actually
segment the data (Tools -> Extract epochs).

The FFT can be calculated by the pop_spectopo function (Plot -> Plot
channel spectra and maps). See help pop_spectopo to learn how to tell
the algorithm to use overlapping in FFT calculations as well as which
kind of windowing to use.

Finally, you'll need to turn to the command-line again to perform the
subtraction of right and left power estimates. One way to do this
involves adding output variables to the pop_spectopo or spectopo
function (again, see help) and then performing the subtraction  on this
output. With some struggling the subtracted data can then be plotted
using EEGLAB or Matlab tools (e.g. plot) and exported (e.g. xlswrite).

Regards,
Andero Uusberg
Tartu, Estonia