[Eeglablist] EEG reference BioSemi system

Estelle Longin estellelongin at gmail.com
Tue Jan 10 03:24:37 PST 2012

Dear collegues,

I am new in EEG analyses so I apologize if my question seem trivial.
I am working on data recorded with a 128 high-density cap (BioSemi system);
no specific reference electrode was used during the recording.
I am wondering what is the best reference to choose with the software. I
understood that the usual EEG reference selections are 1 electrode on top
of the head (Cz), or the average of all connected electrodes... Someone
could tell me what these two methods implies, how they differ and if one
method is better than the other ?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Estelle Longin