[Eeglablist] Re-referencing to Average Reference

Marco Montalto montaltomarco at onvol.net
Sun Jan 15 10:02:40 PST 2012

Dear all,

I have collected data using a 32-channel EEG system. The electrodes were spread evenly on both hemispheres. These are the electrode locations:  FPz, FP1, FP2, Fz, F1, F2, F3, F4, FCz, FC1, FC2, Cz, C1, C2, C3, C4, C5, C6, T7, T8, Pz, P1, P2, P3, P4, P5, P6, PO7, PO8, Oz, O1 and O2. The electrodes were referenced to left earlobe. In EEGLAB I have re-refrenced the data to average reference. I have reviewed the literature and found conflicting opinions as to whether re-referecing to average reference when using 32 channels is justifiable and defendable. Can anyone share his/her views regarding this matter? I am rather new to EEG so any help would be immensely appreciated. Thanks!

Marco Montalto