[Eeglablist] Should Average Reference Include Eye Channels?

Matthew Stief ms2272 at cornell.edu
Thu Feb 9 22:37:46 PST 2012

Thanks to all the responses so far!

I am using a 128 channel BioSemi ActiveTwo system, so the eye channels
are not bipolar.  I imported with a reference to the linked mastoids,
and would like to rereference to the average.  My worry was the one
raised by Simon-Shlomo below, which is whether or not the extra
artifactual activity in the eye channels would contaminate the other
channels.

This possibility, I gather, is balanced against the goal of having as
many electrodes covering the head as completely as possible to match
the assumption of average referencing as closely as possible, as Robin
mentioned.

Makoto, what is your opinion on these two issues?  I am planning on
running ICA, not for artifact detection but to isolate the P1, and was
planning on including the eye channels to better separate out those
those artifactual sources.  And just to be sure I understand you, you
are saying that if I rereference to the average of only the 128 scalp
electrodes, and then run ICA on all 132 electrodes, that ICA will
average reference the data to all 132 electrodes again?  I believe I
remember reading that referencing after epoching and baseline removal
is erroneous, so how is that possible?