[Eeglablist] Should Average Reference Include Eye Channels?

Thomas, Robin D. Dr. thomasrd at muohio.edu
Thu Feb 9 10:51:44 PST 2012

Others may weigh in on this to correct me if I'm wrong here.  My understanding (from Dien, 1998 and others) is that the theory behind rereferencing to the average derives from the zero integral property of the global field around the full sphere of the head (if we could put an infinite number of electrodes all across the entire head-sphere even underneath it, the field potential would integrate to 0).  Thus, for an actual electrode array, if a head is densely sampled (covering as much around as possible) with all the electrodes referenced to the same common at recording, then the average approximates the zero integral well enough that the 'average' is a good electrically neutral 'electrode' that would be a good candidate for a reference.  Bottom line, you should be ok in using the eye electrodes for average rereferencing.

I hope I'm correct.

Robin