[Eeglablist] Should Average Reference Include Eye Channels?

Matthew Stief ms2272 at cornell.edu
Wed Feb 8 17:34:31 PST 2012

Greetings!

I am using a 128 channel BioSemi active system, and am importing my
files using the average mastoids as the reference.  I would like to
rereference to the average, but am unsure if I should use my four eye
electrodes.  I read in the archives that this shouldn't be done for
eye electrodes that do not have the same reference as the scalp
electrodes, but given that in this case they do is there any reason
not to do it?

Matthew Stief
Human Development | Sex & Gender Lab | Cornell University
http://www.human.cornell.edu/HD/sexgender

Heterosexuality isn't normal, it's just common.
-Dorothy Parker