[Eeglablist] What makes a bad channel?

Tarik S Bel-Bahar tarikbelbahar at gmail.com
Sat Feb 18 19:24:33 PST 2012

I would try to err on the side of caution, and the paranoia is healthy till
you have a defendable analysis path that makes sense to you. it seems your
data is relatively clean, thanks for all the details, which are very useful.

If you have got channels to spare in a dense array it makes sense to drop
some of the weirdest ones.

Ica definitely does a usually good job at parsing muscle and high frequency
noise into relatively unique ics. Using templates representing muscle ic
patterns is also possible as a cleaning method.

Ica has less indigestion when there are less of the most noisy channels, as
well as the bad, disconnected, dangling, popping, and flat channels. I tend
to remove channels dominated by exogenous artifactual noise.

For noise, consider tim mullen's CleanLine eeglab plugin, for wiping out
artifact noise.

For your occipital channels, I would say it is cool to be draconian as long
as you keep 60% of channels, that remaining channels are evenly dispersed,
and no large groups of contiguous channels were removed from the scalp
ROIs.

Not sure about decomposition destabilization due to high frequency noise,
in some channels.

Your best bet is compare and ica with the noisy channels and without, after
removing major artifactual time periods, of course.

It would be nice for eeglab to eventually
Have an  augmentation that allowed for catching a variety of types of bad
channels. Note also number of bad channels per epoch is also an often used
for bad channel rejection and epoch rejection criterion.