[Eeglablist] Problems with rank computation - ICA

Marco Montalto montaltomarco at onvol.net
Sun Feb 19 06:49:32 PST 2012

Dear all,

I have data from 13 subjects which I am filtering, removing bad channels, re-referencing to average, epoching and then selecting epochs. When I run ICA I get the following warning (example from one particular dataset):

Warning: fixing rank computation inconsistency (31 vs 30) most likely because running under Linux 64-bit Matlab

And I get as many IC components as there are remaining channels.

But for some datasets, which have been processed similarly to the other datasets, ICA correctly gives one component less than there are remaining channels.

I have switched from single precision to double precision and now all datasets, after running ICA, give equal number of components as there are remaining channels (but still giving the warning message above).

I am using EEGLAB version 10.2.5.8b running on MATLAB version 7.12.0.635 (R2011a) on a Macbook Pro (Dual Core).

Can anyone give me some advise regarding this warning? Should I ignore it and continue working with double precision or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!

Marco