[Eeglablist] ICA vs. regression-based artifact correction effects on sensor level phase

Spencer, Kevin M. kevin_spencer at hms.harvard.edu
Mon Feb 20 10:17:12 PST 2012

Hi Baris,

I don't have any answers to a-c, but regarding d, I'm not aware of any sensory-based connectivity measures that aren't confounded by volume conduction and common reference. This problem has been well known for decades but not dealt with or ignored by many, unfortunately (including myself).

In principle one could perform phase synchronization analyses on CSD-transformed electrode data, which would attenuate volume conduction and eliminate the reference issue. In my experience, though, CSD estimates are too noisy for phase synchrony measures.

Kevin