[Eeglablist] ICA vs. regression-based artifact correction effects on sensor level phase

Manousos Klados mklados at med.auth.gr
Tue Feb 21 10:22:05 PST 2012

Dear Baris,

In the study I had visually inspected the artifactual ICs, but in the plug
in i provide two ways for the identification of the artifactual ICs. First
Fractal Dimension [1] and second the correlation with the EOG signals.
Regarding the EOGs, they are bipolar which is mentioned inside the
manuscript. I report how they were extracted...Honestly I am not sure if it
is correct to take monopolar EOGs. In this study I haven't included the EOG
in the ICA, but in another study [2] I have compared the performance of
artifact rejection when the signals are included during the ICA
decomposition and when they are not...

Regarding you initial question, in my master thesis (which is in Greek) I
have used PLV (phase locking value) in order to see the phase distortion
intoduced by several regression-based, ICA-based and REGICA based artifact
rejection techniques, but the results was the absolute zero, for all the
techniques...You can check it by your self employing an estimator about the
introduced error by the artifact rejection techniques you want to compare...

Regarding the connectivity... Althought now functional connectivity is one
of my primary fields of interest I haven't tried to assess the performance
of different artifact rejection techniques in cerebral networks...May be
I'll do it in the future...

If you need anything else don't hesitate to contact with me :)
Manousos Klados

[1] http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/xpl/freeabs_all.jsp?arnumber=4052205
[2] http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0304394011008421