[Eeglablist] Problems running ICA and creating STUDY

Erika Nyhus Erika_Nyhus at brown.edu
Tue Mar 6 08:49:07 PST 2012

I am trying to run the a script in EEGLAB version 10_2_5_8b which has run
successfully in the past with EEGLAB version 7_1_3_12b.   I have run into a
few problems that I have noted below.  Please let me know if you have any
insight into why these lines are not functioning properly.

First, I am trying to run binica in linux but it is not working.  I
performed the same steps as I had done previously with eeglab7_1_3_12b:
changing icadefs.m to ica_linux and setting the path to the ica_linux
executable file in both Matlab and my bash profile.  Is there something
different I need to do to run binica in eeglab10_2_5_8b?

Second, a problem occurs when I try to select datasets to run ICA on.  When
I run the following code using the selected datasets ICA runs but does not
save the ICA weights.  When I reload the datasets the ICA weights are not
there.  If I restart EEGLAB and load only the datasets I want to run ICA on
and run ICA with all datasets selected it works fine.

%Selects datasets to run ICA on

allcleandatasets = [];

for datasets = 1: length(subjects)

            datasets = datasets - 1;

            subjectcleandataset = [1:2:11];

            allcleandatasets = cat(2, allcleandatasets,
subjectcleandataset);

end

%Concatenates each subjects condition datasets and runs ICA

[ALLEEG EEG CURRENTSET] = pop_newset(ALLEEG, EEG, CURRENTSET, 'retrieve',
allcleandatasets , 'study',0);

EEG = eeg_checkset( EEG );

EEG = pop_runica(EEG,  'icatype', 'binica', 'concatcond', 'on', 'options',{
'extended',1});

[ALLEEG EEG] = eeg_store(ALLEEG, EEG, CURRENTSET);

EEG = pop_saveset( EEG,  'savemode', 'resave');

Third, a problem occurs when I try to create the STUDY.  When I run it
through the GUI it works fine but when I run the following code (saved
directly from eegh()) I get the following errors:

Important warning: some datasets do not have subject codes; some functions
may crash!

Important warning: some datasets do not have condition codes; some
functions may crash!

When I double check the dataset information all the codes are there.

%Creates STUDY

%NEED TO CHANGE THE NAME OF STUDY

Study = ‘KAHN5’

studyoutputfilename = [Study,'.study'];

studyoutputFile = fullfile(dataroot);

%[STUDY, ALLEEG] = std_checkset(STUDY, ALLEEG);

[STUDY ALLEEG] = std_editset( STUDY, ALLEEG,  'name', Study, 'updatedat',
'on', 'savedat', 'on' );

CURRENTSTUDY = 1; EEG = ALLEEG; CURRENTSET = [1:length(EEG)];

[STUDY EEG] = pop_savestudy( STUDY, EEG,  'filename', studyoutputfilename,
'filepath', studyoutputFile);

CURRENTSTUDY = 1; EEG = ALLEEG; CURRENTSET = [1:length(EEG)];

--
Erika Nyhus, Ph.D.
Cognitive, Linguistic, and Psychological Sciences