[Eeglablist] Importing Neuroscan .avg files to EEG lab

Stephen Politzer-Ahles politzerahless at gmail.com
Fri May 4 08:50:28 PDT 2012

Hi Arti,

I don't think the loadavg_bcl function imports the data in the same format
the GUI uses (it doesn't put it into an 'EEG' structure). Here is the code
I use at the command line to import .avg data and topoplot it:

figure;

[signal, variance, chan_names, pnts, rate, xmin, xmax] =
loadavg_bcl('some_file.avg');
signal = signal';
locations = readlocs('some_file.xyz');
range = mean(signal(:,450:500),2);
topoplot(range,locations,'headrad',.55,'plotrad',.61,'conv','off','electrodes','on','maplimits',[-5
5], 'whitebk','on'); title('NCW-SW 150-200ms')

I usually get the mean over some range of samples, store it in the 'range'
variable, and plot that mean; however, you could also plot the values at a
single time point (by just using e.g.     signal(:,*n*) instead of range in
the topoplot call).

Best,
Steve

On Fri, May 4, 2012 at 12:13 AM, Arti Abhishek
<arti.abhishek1982 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> I am very new to EEG lab and requesting the help of EEG lab experts on a
> problem. I am trying to import a neuroscan .AVG file to get topographical
> head maps. I have tried using the loadavg_bcl function to import the .avg
> file to EEGlab and also the readlocs function to read the channel location
> file. But I am not able to redraw the GUI for plotting the topographical
> map. I would be very grateful if anyone could tell me the correct procedure.
>
> Many thanks,
> Arti

Stephen Politzer-Ahles
University of Kansas