[Eeglablist] Automated way of placing events

Andrew Hill andrewhill at ucla.edu
Sat May 5 18:54:39 PDT 2012

Marco,

You can do this a lot more easily using ERPLAB's "Bin Operator" to add / redefine labels based on conditional logic of event, timing, etc.  Check out erpinfo.org for the plugin.

The workflow is like this
- create a "binlist" (list of events in a text file with labels)
- assign that binlist to a continuous event file
- epoch the continuous file per the bins assigned, and average to ERPs
- then you would run conditional code to re-define your bins and apply it to the ERP file.

for example:

%add ERPLab event structure
EEG = pop_creabasiceventlist(EEG, '', {'boundary'}, {-99});
% "bindesc.txt" contains numeric and text labels for each event
EEG = pop_binlister( EEG, 'LANT_bindesc.txt', 'no', '', 0, [], [], 0, 0, 0);
%cut continuous file into epoched file - resulting in a single file, unlike the epoching of EEGLAB
EEG = pop_epochbin( EEG , [-1500  1500],  [-0.1  0]);; %3-sec epohcs, baselined 100 ms pre-stim
EEG = eeg_checkset( EEG );
%Create ERPs
ERP = pop_averager( EEG,1,1,1);
% difference wave subtraction - you can create new ERPs not in the original epochs, here.
ERP = pop_binoperator( ERP, {'bin10 = bin1 - bin3 labels OrientingCost LVF' 'bin11 = bin7 - bin9 labels OrientingCost RVF' });
ERP = pop_savemyerp(ERP, 'erpname',  inputfilename, 'filename',  [OUTPUTFILEPATH erpfilename]);

Good luck - hope this helps!

Best,
andrew