[Eeglablist] epoch baseline removal experience?

Stephen Politzer-Ahles politzerahless at gmail.com
Sat May 12 19:18:49 PDT 2012

Hello Ida,

The purpose of baseline correction is not to know when the event happened
(hopefully you already know that) but to ensure that when you compare data
from different epochs or conditions you are controlling for differences
that happened prior to the event (and thus are not relevant to the
processing of that event). For example, if you have two events that
elicited identical ERPs, but one event happened to occur right after a
large positive drift whereas the other event happened to occur right after
a large negative drift, you would incorrectly conclude that the events
elicited different ERPs; by doing baseline-correction you subtract out
those irrelevant pre-stimulus differences and avoid making an incorrect
conclusion like that.

As for your second question: it is not necessary to use the entire
pre-stimulus interval for baseline correction. So it should be fine for you
to use for example a [-1000 0] ms baseline even if your epoch is actually
bigger than that.

Best,
Steve Politzer-Ahles

Stephen Politzer-Ahles