[Eeglablist] Performining the t-test and highiliting the area

Alex Davila axel.1963 at hotmail.com
Mon May 14 12:26:29 PDT 2012

Dear Vijaya,

I assume that your two conditions are run on the same participants (repeated measures). Then, what you need to do is just this:

1. Define the variable D = C - I

where C: your variable for the congruent condition and I: your variable for the incongruent condition.

2. Calculate the mean M and the sample standard deviation S for D.

3. Calculate t = M/(S/rootsquare(N))

where N: your number of participants.

4. Depending on your hypothesis, compare your calculated t with a one tail or two tail table t-student value. I'd suggest to use an alpha value identical to those available in the relevant literature.

5. As you're interested in the N400 value, I assume you may extract it from your ERP data of potentials across the time domain where you may identify local maxima and minima for each participant.

6. Of course, before getting this data, you need to apply the standard averaging procedure to extract the ERP signal from the noise.

All the best,

Alex.