[Eeglablist] baseline removal and ICA

Angel Tabullo angeltabullo at yahoo.com
Wed May 30 06:13:43 PDT 2012

Thank you so much for the reference!

________________________________
 De: Makoto Miyakoshi <mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu>
Para: Angel Tabullo <angeltabullo at yahoo.com>
CC: "eeglablist at sccn.ucsd.edu" <eeglablist at sccn.ucsd.edu>
Enviado: Martes, 29 de mayo, 2012 4:53 P.M.
Asunto: Re: [Eeglablist] baseline removal and ICA

Dear Angel,

> Is it better to extract data epochs and remove the baseline before running
> an ICA decomposition?

Epoch extraction is fine, but baseline removal should be AFTER ICA...
if it is before before ICA, then extract whole epoch as a baseline,
and never do it with short pre-epoch period (like -200 to 0 ms). See
Gorppe, Makeig, Kutas (2009). Identifying reliable independent
components via split-half comparisons. Neuroimage 45:1199-1211.

Makoto

2012/5/29 Angel Tabullo <angeltabullo at yahoo.com>:
> I have a rather basic question about baseline removal and ICA decomposition.
> Is it better to extract data epochs and remove the baseline before running
> an ICA decomposition? In the case that there were artifacts in the baseline:
> should we run an ICA first and eliminate the anomalous components, and then
> remove the artifact-free baseline from the rest of the epoch?
>
> Thank you very much for your attention.
>
> Angel Tabullo

JSPS Postdoctral Fellow for Research Abroad