[Eeglablist] choice of reference

Joseph Dien jdien07 at mac.com
Mon Jun 18 16:50:21 PDT 2012

You might find the following paper helpful:

Dien, J. (1998). Issues in the application of the average reference: Review, critiques, and recommendations. Behavior Research Methods, Instruments, and Computers, 30(1), 34-43.

19-channels is a bit sparse for average reference but it also depends on how they are distributed on the head, not just the number.  It also depends on the ERPs you're interested.  The mastoids are definitely not electrically silent (they are located very close to the lateral temporal language areas).  There are also implications for statistical power of ANOVAs depending on the geometry of the ERP component dipolar field and the reference site.  It also depends on what kind of analyses you are planning on and also on how well known the ERP component is and whether you plan on making inferences about functional neuroanatomy, among other things.

Regarding noise, it depends on what kind of noise you're talking about.  Do you mean electrode noise (bad contacts that would only affect the one electrode) or background noise (coherent electrical fields influencing multiple electrodes that just happen to not be of interest, including EOG) or mechanical noise (movement artifacts affecting multiple electrodes caused by physical disturbances of the electrodes)?

Joe