[Eeglablist] Global field power calculations

Stephen Politzer-Ahles politzerahless at gmail.com
Sun Jun 24 23:23:52 PDT 2012

Hi Mridula,

You can export .avg files directly into EEGLAB using the attached function
(not my own creation--this is a function that Dr. Yang Zhang kindly shared
with me). The syntax is like:

[signal, variance, chan_names, pnts, rate, xmin, xmax] =
loadavg_bcl('some_neuroscan_file.avg');

(Note: EEGLAB also comes with a built-in function, loadavg(), that works in
the same way. However, last time I checked, this function rescales the
data, so the data that you have in MATLAB after import are not in
microvolts but in some other units. If you want to work with data in
microvolts, you can use the attached function.)

Once the data are in MATLAB, calculating global field power (both
for individuals and across multiple individuals) is just arithmetic and can
be done with some simple MATLAB scripting, it shouldn't need EEGLAB.

Best,
Steve