[Eeglablist] Problem with channel detection in Run ICA

Jason Palmer japalmer29 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 21:07:47 PDT 2012

Hi Jan,

The data rank is roughly the number of unique time series contained in the
collection of data channels. If the data is not "full rank" (rank less than
channels) then some channels are essentially just linear combinations of
other channels.  E.g. if two channels are exactly the same, then the data
will have rank reduced by at least 1. Similarly if one channel is zero (or
you keep the reference channel after re-referencing.)

Your raw data should have rank equal to the number of channels. If you then
do average reference, the rank should be reduced by 1.

Further reduction is rank is almost certainly due to low-pass filtering.
Low-pass filtering removes high-frequency "details" from the channels. If
channels only differ significantly in high-frequency details, then the
output the low-pass filter applied to each may be the same.

The number of dimensions in the data after filtering will depend on the
specific data recordings (it will generally be different for different
participants, even if all other conditions are the same). It will also
depend on the "severity" of the low-pass filter--a  lower frequency cut-off
will generally remove more high-frequency details and thus produce data with
lower rank.

Hope that’s helpful.

Best,
Jason