[Eeglablist] How to make an ICA run in less than a week?

James Schaeffer schaefj3 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 5 17:24:20 PDT 2012

Dear eeglablist,

I am running ICAs on 10 minutes of Biosemi EEG data, collected from 128
channels, and sampled at 2048 Hz. However, the ICAs have been running for a
few days without much progress. Two computers have 8G RAM and an Intel(R)
Xeon(TM) CPU 2.80GHz. One has been running an ICA for 6 days and is on step
33; the other, for 4 days, and is on step 28. Another computer has 12G RAM
and an Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU 5110 @ 1.60GHz; it has been running for 3 days
and is on step 60. All are running openSUSE 12.1 (x86_64), with eeglab
version 10.2.2.4b. The 'free' command indicates that they are not using any
swap space.  Should it be taking this long?  Is it possible that we have
more than the one copy of the data in ram or that Matlab or Eeglab has
placed something else in ram, or is busy with other processes? Is there
anything I can do to speed up this process? Any help would be greatly
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
James