[Eeglablist] Time-Freq Decomp. and Pop_epoch - avoid edge artifacts

Arnaud Delorme arno at ucsd.edu
Thu Jul 12 21:48:37 PDT 2012

Dear Luis,

there will be no edge effect when using newtimef. The edge effect that you are mentioning is when you filter your data. We performing time-frequency decompositions, you are safe. However, you will miss some data at the edges of your epochs. This is why we recommend to extract large data epochs to perform time-frequency decompositions.

If your data epoch is from -1000 ms to 2000 ms (see note). Newtimef will apply a sliding window of say 500 ms wide. It means that the center of the first window will be at -750 ms and the center of the last window 1750 ms. These will be the limits of the time-frequency transform.

Hope this helps,

Arno

Note: in reality, if you have 3-second epochs, the limits will be -1000 ms to 1996 ms for example at 250 Hz and not from -1000 ms to 2000 ms. This is because, by convention, we use the beginning of a time window for each data sample. -1000 ms represents time from -1000 ms to -996 ms. -996 represents time from -996 to -992 ms. Similarly 1996 ms represents data from 1996 ms to 2000 ms. So we really have 3 seconds of data but the limits are -1000 ms to 1996 ms.