[Eeglablist] Time-Freq Decomp. and Pop_epoch - avoid edge artifacts

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Wed Jul 11 11:05:38 PDT 2012

Dear Luis,

I can think of two things you want to be careful about.

1. Loosing data of half width of the window from both ends of your TF
data (assuming that you apply it to the continuous data)
2. Difference in time-resolution between TF data and your EEG sampling rate.

To make it simple, I recommend you simply discard the first and last
epochs of TF data to address the issue 1 above. Also, for the sake of
simplicity you should choose time-resolution of TF data as an integral
multiple of your EEG sampling rate. For example, if your sampling rate
is 250 Hz, which is 4 ms, then your TF data should have 4, 8, or 12 ms
resolution. With these two preparations, it would be easier to copy
the temporal structure of your EEG data to your TF data.

I'm not sure if you can use pop_epoch for epoching TF data. Probably
you should write your own code to epoch your TF data, which should not
be too difficult. In any case, the important thing is to have
corresponding event markers in your TF data.

If you have further question let us know.

Makoto