[Eeglablist] Hello EEG experts

Stephen Politzer-Ahles politzerahless at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 13:04:48 PDT 2012

Hello Anatoly,

Welcome to EEGLAB. C++ knowledge is not needed to use EEGLAB; EEGLAB is a
set of MATLAB functions, and thus all its code uses MATLAB. In fact it's
possible to use EEGLAB without familiarity with MATLAB (by using the
graphical interface), although knowing a little bit of MATLAB will allow
you to make batches to automate a lot of your work. You can learn how to
use EEGLAB through the online tutorial at
http://sccn.ucsd.edu/wiki/EEGLAB_TUTORIAL_OUTLINE.

Advantages of EEGLAB include that it is free (although MATLAB is not), and
that it has a wide user base (which both means there is a lot of help
available, and that the functions have been tested a lot and are relatively
stable). It also offers tools and algorithms (both built-in, and through
extra toolboxes you can add) for doing some sorts of analysis which might
not be available for other software--you can find more information about
these options in the website listed above, and in previous discussions on
this mailing list.

Best,
Steve Politzer-Ahles

On Tue, Aug 14, 2012 at 12:08 PM, Anatoly Romanov <anatoly_62 at yahoo.com>wrote:

> I have downloaded EEGLAB because I want to do some EEG testing.. I've just
> purchased a research edition headset from Emotiv, has anyone ever heard of
> this unit? I heard it was pretty decent, the best for its price so I got
> it. Now I'm looking to do some EEG testing in read time however I'm a bit
> confused with EEGLAB.. Does one need to have C sharp or C++ knowledge in
> order to work with EEGLAB? I've studied a bit of C++ years ago but this
> program seems like its designed for coders.
> Am I right or am I wrong? Also what are the advantages working with this
> software as apposed to other types of software out there?
>
> Thanks
>
> ~Anatoly

Stephen Politzer-Ahles
University of Kansas