[Eeglablist] statistical analysis problem

cyril pernet cyril.pernet at ed.ac.uk
Thu Aug 16 02:14:19 PDT 2012

Dear Anahita

May I suggest a different approach, which should solve your problem.

You can use the LIMO EEG toolbox
(https://gforge.dcn.ed.ac.uk/gf/project/limo_eeg/) to analyse your data.
For each participant, you build a statistical model using the markers
for faces and objects - that gives you estimates of effects of seeing
faces or objects and you can also compare within subject faces vs
objects. Once this is done, you can perform e.g. a two samples T-test
controls vs. partients on the difference (face vs object) you computed
for each subjects. The good thing here is (1) it doesn't really matter
that within subjects you don't have the same number of (good) trials (2)
it doesn't matter for the T-test if you end up with different number of
subjects (say you had to discard 2 patients because they just don't have
any good trials at all) and (3) the analysis is performed across all
channels and time frames so you don't have to do ad hoc selection of
channels or time windows (note you could also select the 'best'
electrode per subject .. have a look at our paper and tutorial)

Cyril