[Eeglablist] Biosemi importation into EEGLAB

Edward Justin Modestino edward.modestino at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 11:37:04 PDT 2012

Dear experts,
I have a few questions about importing my data into EEGLAB.

(1) When I import the unreferenced Biosemi data into EEGLAB, either by:

>File > Import> From BIOSEMI BDF file (BIOSIG toolbox)
OR
>File >Import > From BIOSEMI BDF and EDF files (BDF plugin)

I get the following error in the MATALB command window:

We highly recommend that you choose a reference channel IF these are
Biosemi data

(e.g., a mastoid or other channel). Otherwise the data will lose 40 dB of
SNR!

Reading BDF data in 24-bit format...

*As the BIOSEMI data is recorded unreferenced, what do I do?  I may choose
to take the common average reference (CAR) in EEGLAB after importation or
take the CAR in another program before importing into EEGLAB.  What would I
do in each case?  If I take the CAR prior to importation into EEGLAB, I
will not have a channel for the CAR, so there still will be nothing to
select.  If I import the BIOSEMI data unreferenced, how do I compensate for
this warning in the command window?*

(2) If I am importing BIOSEMI data that is already epoched, how do I
proceed?  I cannot find this in the online manual.  Also, the event markers
need to be fixed in the file, so I will be associating a text file to
import the markers.  I know how to remove markers and to import new event
markers.  *But, how do I proceed with this data that has already been
epoched to let EEGLAB know it is epoched?  Again, I cannot use the markers
in the file.  I need to import the markers as an event file.  *
*
*I appreciate any advice you can give me.
Thanks,
Ed
*
*--