[Eeglablist] CRT vs. TFT monitor

Tom Campbell tom_campbell75 at hotmail.com
Tue Aug 21 13:52:26 PDT 2012

Julia, I think you should get better timing out of a CRT, yet the CRT may lead to more noise in your measurement. This noise could drop off according to Colomb's law with a 1/r2 relation with distance r of the participant from the monitor. You may have the option to play with visual angle to exploit Colomb's law to your advantage. What I would do is set up the experiment code to run with each monitor separately. You might be able to record direct from a photocell into a file alongside your triggers (e.g., biosemi has a photocell that can record into a channel alongside triggers in such a way). Or you can feed trigger channels and a channel from a photocell direct to an oscilloscope. Your oscilloscope may allow you to trigger off the port code. In any case, assess the intertrigger jitter and the delay between the onset of the trigger and the visual event on the screen, alongside the jitter in this delay, for both screens. The ideal is this jitter should be less than your sampling rate. Then I'd pilot analyses (e.g. ERPs) with the better set up timing-wise to see if you like the signal:noise ratio. Best regards, Tom.