[Eeglablist] ERP localisation with BESA and DIPFIT with ICA

Makoto Miyakoshi mmiyakoshi at ucsd.edu
Tue Sep 4 14:01:50 PDT 2012

Dear Imali,

ICA returns 'one map/IC per a component' which does not change across
recording time.
A static location corresponds to a brain region.
If you think of averaged ERP topo, for example, scalp topography changes
from timepoint to timepoint. Independent components are not like that.

> 2.       **Do independent components for cognitive activity in brain
represents ERP components(P1,N1, etc)?

Not necessarily. One IC can explain 3 ERP peaks (P1/N1/P2 as one burst).

> 3.       **Since I have minimal(correct to say no..) experience in ERP,
how do I know my dipole localisations with ICA are correct? For instance,
in a visual task I would expect to see one or more dipoles in visual area,
but when changing the conditions  such as colour or shape where else do I
get dipoles? Or simply, how do I have a hypothesis for the ICA component
related dipoles?

How do I know my dipole location is correct?
When you calculate dipole fit, you'll have residual variance. If this value
is small, that means your dipole location is good.
For symmetrical two dipoles, when the topography show bilateral pattern you
should place two dipoles (This may require some prior knowledge about
somatosensory mu, alpha, and EOG).

> 4.       **With very limited neuroscience knowledge how do I get around
with localisations to extract a task related neuronal activity?

If you don't have time to read Scott Makeig, Arnaud Delorme, or Julie Onton
etc, then
1. run ICA
2. run dipfit (autofit)
Remember, 1 dipole for 1 (or bilateral 2) IC(s). They are always paired.
ICA generates time-invariant scalp topo, and dipfit calculates the
associated dipole(s) that is also time-invariant (ICs don't change their
locations throughout your data just as your brain regions don't).

If you have further questions please ask further.

Makoto