[Eeglablist] Difference-Wave statistics

Stephen Politzer-Ahles politzerahless at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 19:44:38 PDT 2012

Hi Manuel,

Doing t-tests for all data points leads to a large multiple comparisons
problem (you are pretty much guaranteed to find false positives). For
better analysis methods, see Steve Luck's 2005 book *An Introduction to the
Event-Related Potential Technique* or Maris & Oostenveld's 2007
article in *Journal
of Neuroscience Methods*.

Best,
Steve Politzer-Ahles

On Mon, Sep 17, 2012 at 9:25 AM, Manuel Lemos Rodrigues
<m.lemos at ymail.com>wrote:

> Dear EEGLABlist members,
>

> I'm currently working on some oddball paradigm datasets and at this point
> analyzing difference-waves obtained by subtracting Grand-average ERPs of
> two conditions.
> So here is my question: Which way for statistical analysis do you
> recommend getting time ranges where the difference waves ( n = 10-15) are
> significant non-zero? I'm currently using two-sided subsequent ttests for
> all  datapoints ( Matlab function ttest).
> I noticed that  pop_comperp does have similiar funtionality for
> grand-averaged ERPs with one condition, but I get different results ( more
> conservative results).
>

> Thanks a lot and best regards,
>
> Manuel Lemos

Stephen Politzer-Ahles