[Eeglablist] ICA question

Tarik S Bel-Bahar tarikbelbahar at gmail.com
Mon Sep 17 20:03:01 PDT 2012

A good strategy is to try to clean your data as much
as possible of extreme artifacts
(these extreme artifacts would
attract ICA's attention too much).

Then, if you have enough time points in your data
to match ICA's requisites, you should be able
to achieve a clean and interpretable ICA decomposition.
With ICs that look interpretable in relation to known
EEG "components" expected in your protocol.
You may also find "real" ICs that you did not expect.

The resultant ICA information can then be
transferred to a longer continuous file,
as you have done. You will however still
have to deal with artifactual time periods
and artifactual epochs, one way or another.

ICA does not care if you give it epochs or continuous data. However it is
important that you feed it
enough good clean data, data during which
the cognitive behavior you are interested in
is occurring. In addition to eliminating
"artifactual periods" you may also
want to eliminate all periods that are not
"cognitively"-relevant or "task"-relevant.

Good luck with your process and let the list know how
things go for you.