[Eeglablist] Question regarding ICA

Davide Baldo davidebaldo84 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 04:29:58 PDT 2012

Dear all,

I was wondering about the following problem:

Assume that your experiment has 2 blocks each with 30 Trials (just a random
numbers). The experiment is divided into 2 blocks in order to give a break
to the subject at the end of the first block of 30 trials.
The EEG data during the break will probably be full of any kinds of
artifacts.

My question is the following: Regarding ICA, what do you do with the EEG
data recording during the break time? I mean, do you use the complete EEG
signal to run ICA (including the data recorded during the break time) or do
you remove the noise data recording during the break?

The point is: if you do not remove that data, then you have a continuous
signal as input to ICA.
                   If you do remove that data, you remove a lot of noise,
but you add a discontinuity in the data you use to run ICA (because you
must cut the data recorded during the break and join together the remaining
data)

Thus...is it better to remove that part of the data or not?

Does my question make sense? :)

Thanks in advance for your kind help,

Davide.