[Eeglablist] Filtering issues

Andreas Widmann widmann at uni-leipzig.de
Wed Sep 26 07:02:05 PDT 2012

Hi,

http://sccn.ucsd.edu/pipermail/eeglablist/2008/002210.html

In a nutshell: The filter order as suggested by EEGLAB is too high for this extreme cutoff-frequency. Use higher cutoff or different filter type. Transition band width is defined as cutoff * 0.15 for firls-based filters in EEGLAB IIRC.

Note:
I recommend upgrading to a more recent version of EEGLAB where fir1 is used as default filter function (in case you did not select firls explicitly). firls-based filtering does not give optimal results (http://www.frontiersin.org/Perception_Science/10.3389/fpsyg.2012.00233/full).

Best,
Andreas